Natural Remedies For A Cough. Coughing is the body’s way of getting rid of impurities from the throat. The action of coughing is a reflex wherein the throat ejects any foreign object that gets trapped in the respiratory or throat walls. Such as food, dust particles or other foreign objects. There are two kinds of common coughs, the dry cough where there is no production of mucus, and a wet cough where there is plenty of mucus. Coughs can occur in any situation. Some are mild and can go away naturally, but some are more severe and seek medical attention. Coughs can be a sign of a serious illness and should be consulted with your doctor. However, there are also other means, like natural remedies that can be around your house, that can cure the cough.
Causes For Your Coughing
A significant cause for coughing can include respiratory tract infection due to having a cold or the flu. Also, smoking can also be seen as another reason for coughing. Smoking irritates the respiratory lining which causes the excretion of mucus. Lastly, accidents like food or liquids getting into the respiratory tract can induce coughing.
A severe cough is concerning as it could be a sign of conditions, like chronic bronchitis or allergy. It could also be a sign of acute respiratory illness, like lung cancer. When you experience severe coughing, then it is time to visit your doctor.
Natural Remedies For Cough
As we understand coughing more and more, most of us also think of other ways on how to treat it. We show interest in what we usually take as medication, for it may cause harm to our body. Some of us opt for a more natural remedy to relieve the cough, and some of us prefer medicated remedies. Medicated remedies, however, require time and money. Here are some natural remedies usually found in your kitchen:
- Peppermint – The mint in peppermints help soothe and cure coughs. You can prepare peppermint in many ways. One is by crushing the leaves and blending it with your tea. You can also inhale peppermint vapors by putting it into a bowl of hot water and inhaling the vapor.
- Honey tea – For thousands of years, honey has been used to cure many ailments. The flavorful benefits of honey make it popular among taste aficionados. Put two spoonfuls of honey into your tea, mixed with lemon, and you get a delicious way to cure cough.
- Ginger – Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties. You can eat it either cooked or raw. You can also mix sliced ginger to your tea, together with honey and lemon. You can also chew slices of ginger to relieve itchiness and cough.
The same thing goes with home remedies. These remedies may help you in situations where you cannot contact your nearest doctor, it’s late at night and you only have what you have in your home. These are quick and easy home remedies you can use to put you back to bed:
- Steaming – You can get steam from a hot shower. You can also create a steam bowl. Pour water into a bowl, add natural herbs like peppermint, and inhale.
- A saltwater gargle – Saltwater is a disinfectant. It cleanses and preserves. Fill your drinking glass with warm water then add a spoonful of salt. Stir and gargle. Don’t swallow because salt can cause dehydration.
- Fluids – Drinking plenty of fluids can clean the circulatory system. It is also a natural way to flush toxins out. That is why it is recommended that we drink lots of water every day.
Natural Remedies For Coughing: Prevention
What’s a good cure when there’s no way to prevent? Exposure to pollution can cause coughing. It is best to wear a mask when going to a polluted area. When you are working in a construction site, always wear protective gear so you can avoid inhaling noxious fumes. Another way to prevent the cough is to stay fit. Daily exercise and eating the right foods can boost your immune system. A good immune system means that your body can combat viruses and germs.
Alternative medicine is a way to combat illness without resorting to buying expensive drugs. That is why it is always great to have access to medicinal herbs, or other natural medication over the counter. These natural cures have proven their effectiveness for generations, and there are more natural medicines coming out too with the ongoing intensive research.